April 30, 2006

In the beginning...

Hi and welcome to Dogtown.

This is a fictional narrative, born from a creative desire to run an RPG over IRC with a couple of friends. Having promised various people I wouldn't get involved in GMing a tabletop game until I've finished writing my PhD thesis, I needed an alternate outlet for the creative ideas banging around my mind, one that wouldn't take quite as much prep-time or carry the same general workload.

Thankfully when I pitched the idea of an IRC game I got a positive response. It was originally going to be using basic mechanics from the HeroQuest RPG. However, this was quickly dropped and it became a freeform exercise, working purely on the basis of how the three of us trip off each other.

This blog will log the progress of that game as edited into narrative form, and possibly related thoughts. We're just 3 sessions in and on a limited run as one of the other guys is soon moving out of a workable timezone so it may be short and (with luck) sweet.

I'll try to paint a picture of the setting and the cast as we go, but I'll offer up episode #1 as a jumping off point. It's the weakest of the three so far as it was the first IRC session any of us had ever participated in but sets the ball rolling well enough.

No comments: